- Search is an important approach to general-purpose problem-solving.
- Many problems can be cast in terms of a state space search.
- For most practical problems, uninformed search methods like
Depth-First and Breadth-First search are not practical. They do however
serve as a convenient way to introduce heuristic search methods.
- Heuristic search methods explore the search space "intelligently".
That is, evaluating possibilities without having to investigate every
- A heuristic function as used by a state space search method is an
estimate of the distance remaining to the goal.
- Through the use of heuristics the search can be guided to more
"promising" parts of the search space first.
- Admissible search methods such as the A* search, if used with
a heuristic that is an underestimate of the remaining cost to the goal,
can guarantee finding an optimal solution.
- The AI-Search project aimed to develop a web-based interactive algorithm
animation product that could help students of Artificial Intelligence
learn about state space search methods in a way beyond that possible with
traditional text book and static diagrams.
- We thank you for visiting our site and invite you to offer your
comments about this web site, the courseware, and the AI-Search software.